I've decided to try to keep a blog about my teaching. I have to do something to remember things that happen should I need them to encourage someone to give me a promotion...er...I mean, so that I can um...reflect - yes, reflect on my teaching so that I can...improve - yes that's it...I need to do something to remember things that happen so that I can reflect and improve my teaching.
I was at a conference on college teaching this past weekend and I was asked to come up with an analogy about being a teacher. I, of course, changed those directions a bit, and came up with an analogy about teaching...rather than about being a teacher. I admit, I've incorporated parts from Elaine Benes.
Teaching is like luring a squirrel to eat from your hand. You can't make any big, sudden movements or the squirrel will run away. Depending on what you have in your hand, the squirrel may eat, or the squirrel may turn up its nose and run away. The squirrel may eat right away or may go bury the food to eat later. If the squirrel buries the food - it is highly likely the squirrel will forget where the food is when it is needed.
And then - I could get crazy and talk about squirrels darting out in front of cars, but I'll stop it there!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment